If you’re looking for more space for your growing family, to entertain, or simply because you want more living space, here are a few PROS and CONS you may want to consider:
2. More room for your family, children, and guests
3. Greater interior appeal
4. Personal satisfaction
1. Lower re-sale value (most important)
2. Depending on the county you live in, you will have an additional expense to pull permits and make a 2 car carport
3. Carports generally lower a home’s curb appeal
4. Less room for to store your tools and toys
5. Additional expense for storage (if you have big toys; RV, boat, motorcycles, bikes, etc)
5. Additional expense to drywall, insulate, install a heating & AC system, and electrical outlets
6. If your washer and dryer were originally in your garage, you will be experiencing a lot more noise in your new living space
Before you consider converting your garage into living space, really consider these PROS and CONS with your family and ask yourself a couple of questions: how long do you plan to live in your home? Are you planning to make your home a rental? If not, are you okay with your home losing value if you choose to sell in the near future? These are just a few questions that I strongly advise my clients and friends to consider because all too often circumstances change and what makes sense now, doesn’t always make sense in the long-run (financially, most importantly).
I hope you find this information helpful and insightful. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Happy New Year!
Broker / Owner
Golden Stars Realty